First and foremost, not everyone feels comfortable talking about sex… but it is an important topic to talk about.
The more you understand about sex and relationships, the better placed you are to make informed decisions, including keeping yourself safe and ensuring your Type 1 diabetes doesn’t get in the way.
Only you will know when you are ready, but there are some points you need to consider:
- The age of consent in the UK is 16 years of age
- The age of consent applies to everyone: regardless of gender or sexual orientation
- This may not necessarily be the right age for you
- Many people do not have sex for the first time until they are older
- People feel ready at different times for different reasons
- You should never feel pressurised into having sex with anyone